Firefox + SeaMonkey (gecko browsers) instant crash on some web pages

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Oct 13 15:27:51 UTC 2015

Steve Wills wrote on 10/13/2015 17:16:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/13/2015 09:21, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> A "skia" fixed crashes on mapy.cz and seznam.cz but from this time I got
>> random crashes of Firefox and Seamonkey (both with "skia"). Until this
>> change Seamonkey was happily runnig for a few weeks (system uptime 20
>> days). I have more than 5 crashes today.
>> Is there a way to track this issue or some other way to fix mapy.cz and
>> seznam.cz crashes without bringing this instability?
>
> I guess we need a debug version of firefox built and a copy of the core
> dump from the crash. I was going to do that but haven't made time.
>
> In the mean time, you might consider having two profiles, one where you
> use skia for mapy.cz and seznam.cz and the other one default. Not ideal,
> but as a temporary workaround that lets you use both sites until the
> issue is solved.
>
> Since SeaMonkey hasn't been updated, I'm wonder if the issue existed in
> the older version of Firefox too.

Yes, this problem exists in old Firefox too. My desktop was not updated
for more than 6 month, so I have

SeaMonkey 2.32:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; FreeBSD amd64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0
SeaMonkey/2.32 Lightning/3.7

Firefox 35:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; FreeBSD amd64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0

Both crashed on mapy.cz and seznam.cz

I tried newer version in freshly installed VirtualBox VM with Firefox 40
and 41. Results are the same.

I will try debug version in the next few days as time permits.

Thank you for your help.

Miroslav Lachman