llvm37 python3 problem

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Fri Oct 9 05:45:12 UTC 2015

On 09/10/2015 02:33, Walter Schwarzenfeld wrote:
> I think this should work:
> in /etc/make.conf:
> either
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS=python=2.7 python2=2.7 python3=3.4
> or
> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/ports/devel/llvm*}
> USE_PYTHON=2.7
> .endif
>
> should work.

We know it works with the old python2.7. The point is that it fails if
you only want to use something recent like python3.4

python 2.7 was released 5 years ago. Even python3.4 was release over a
years and a half ago. If I had trouble with FreeBSD 7.3 you would tell
me to upgrade, so why do we have to keep using such an old version of
python? Not everyone wants to keep using old software.

The point of original the email was to get llvm/clang 3.7 working on a
machine that has python 3.4 installed as default and not 2.7

Which leads to wanting to place in make.conf -
DEFAULT_VERSIONS=python=3.4 python2=2.7 python3=3.4

And Loic - just so you know, while python 2.7 was going to be supported
until 2015, it was extended again for yet another 5 years - see

http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler