Help needed: ports builds on 10.X but breaks on 9.X

Olivier Duchateau duchateau.olivier at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 10:27:52 UTC 2015

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 11:06:30 +0200
"A.J. \"Fonz\" van Werven" <freebsd at skysmurf.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The port x11-servers/Xfstt, which I maintain, apparently breaks on FreeBSD
> 9.3-RELEASE while building just fine on 10.X-RELEASE. Initially I thought
> it was just a random glitch, but I got a second pkg-fallout message, so
> perhaps something is actually wrong indeed.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have access to a 9.X machine right now, but does
> anyone know what can cause an
>
>   Error expanding embedded variable.
>
> error right at the very start of the build phase on FreeBSD 9.X (happens
> on both i386 and amd64),  but not on FreeBSD 10.X? A complete build log
> can be found here:
> http://beefy2.nyi.freebsd.org/data/93amd64-default/398241/logs/xfstt-1.9.2.log
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Fonz

Hi,

devel/gettext-tools is missing (according to build log).

Excerpt build log:

checking whether NLS is requested... no
checking for msgfmt... no
checking for gmsgfmt... :
checking for xgettext... no
checking for msgmerge... no
checking build system type... amd64-portbld-freebsd9.3
checking host system type... amd64-portbld-freebsd9.3
checking for ld used by cc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... no
checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... no
checking whether to use NLS... no
[skip]
/usr/bin/make  all-recursive
Making all in doc
  GEN      xfstt.1x
Making all in po
Error expanding embedded variable.
*** [all-recursive] Error code 1

Makefile tries to build and translate xfstt.1 man page, but Gettext tools are missing.

There're 2 ways to resolv your problem:
- Patch Makefile (probably search subdir word, where doc directory is mentioned)
- Add USES=gettext-tools, but don't explicitly disable NLS

Regards

--
olivier