Ports requires pkg 1.6.0, but 1.5.6 is the latest available

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 1 19:25:56 UTC 2015

On 10/1/2015 3:28 AM, Mel Pilgrim wrote:
> On 2015-09-30 16:16, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> In short, there is nothing broken in pkg(8) per se. I am pretty sure
>> this problem does not come up if you do everything from quarterly or
>> everything from head; it's strictly an issue of conflicts between the
>> two.
>
> More to the point, that using the default pkg settings in 10.2 and the
> default branch for the ports tree resulted a situation where the two
> were not compatible.  Delaying the bump to MINIMAL_PKG_VERSION until
> pkg-1.6.0 hit pkg.freebsd.org/*/quarterly would have avoided the issue.
>  If that wisdom reaches the right people among the FreeBSD committers,
> then this thread will have served its purpose, IMHO.  It sounds like it
> did, so yay us being useful with feedback.
>
>> Furthermore, I suspect that if the original poster had updated his
>> quarterly-branch version of pkg to the head version, he probably would
>> have been able to build the other port from the head tree.
>
> Yes, if she had known there would at some point be a timing issue
> between repo updates and bumps to MINIMAL_PKG_VERSION, she would have
> deployed a non-default configuration a long time ago. ;)

I'm more bothered that the minimal version was immediately bumped on a
.0 release.  The last time the minimal version was bumped was hard
enough, and the issue with portmaster has been known and could have been
fixed had this change been discussed properly.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery