lang/gcc48 fails to build [on HEAD]

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 27 13:25:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 13:59:54 +0100 Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 07:23:40PM +0100, Rainer Hurling wrote:
>> I think I found the problem.
>>
>> In my initial mail of this thread, I reported, that after upgrading
>> Freebsd 11.0-CURRENT to r290538 (including locale and localedef updates)
>> I am not able to build lang/gccXX any more. All I get are errors like
>> that in usr/ports/lang/gccXX/work/build/gcc:
>>
>> ----
>> In file included from .././../gcc-4.8.5/gcc/genflags.c:26:
>> In file included from ./tm.h:16:
>> ./options.h:4293:3: error: redefinition of enumerator 'OPT_C'
>>   OPT_C = 129,                               /* -C */
>>   ^
>> ----
>>
>> After more than 20 of them the build stops with
>> fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
>> 20 errors generated.
>>

>> This is with locale for Germany:
>> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
>> LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
>> LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
>> LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
>> LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
>> LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
>> LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
>> LC_ALL=
>>

>> If I use 'LC_COLLATE="C"' for the build, the build works fine again:
>>
>> cd /usr/ports/lang/gcc48
>> env LC_COLLATE="C" make
>>

>> So it seems, that something with the new 'locale' code in base of HEAD
>> is not working as expected here? (At least for other locales than US?)
>>
>> I added bapt@, because he is the author introducing the new code into HEAD.
>>
>> Hope, my explanations are clear enough to get the problem. Please feel
>> free to ask for more information, if needed.
>
> Your explanations are good, sorry for the delay for my reply I will look
> into it.

I ran into this with lang/sdcc* which includes cpp from gcc.  At some
point the build runs an awk script (opt-gather.awk) that collects command
line options defined in *.opt files, sorts them and then puts them into
a C array.  The problem seems to be that FreeBSD awk takes collation into
account when sorting strings while GNU awk doesn't.  POSIX says that
FreeBSD is correct, so I was thinking of adding something like this to
bsd.port.mk:

USE_LOCALE?=	C
LANG=		${USE_LOCALE}
LC_ALL=		${USE_LOCALE}
.export LANG LC_ALL

This gives a consistent locale environment for port builds.  Some ports
already set LANG or LC_ALL.  That would have to be reviewed and I haven't
had time for that yet.