Announcement: IPv6 promotion campaign

Wed Nov 25 13:04:23 UTC 2015

Hello,

FreeBSD supports IPv6 since 15 years and while IPv4 addresses running
low, its quite annoying how often there is no IPv6 support for existing
sites.

I'm hit at a regularly basis by that lack of support and it happens to
affect a greater number of the ports including some popular programs.

For example rubygems.org misses IPv6 support, rendering more than 1.000
ports unfetchable and not buildable at an IPv6 only connection. Same is
true for Firefox and Thunderbird. Even codeload.github.com is not
reachable via IPv6.
LibreOffice for example is not buildable, because some of the
dependencies are not fetchable.

While this is of course not a problem of FreeBSD it hits me as FreeBSD
user with my great numbers of IPv6 only jails ;)

In the next weeks i will start an promotion campaign to reduce the lack
of support.

Therefore i will:
- create a list of ports not fetchable through IPv6
- assembling a list of affected hosters
- contact the projects and try to help them to add support

If anybody is interested in help me with this task, feel free to contact
me! :)

Greetings,
Torsten