fail2ban fails to build (fwd)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Nov 3 04:53:47 UTC 2015

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, Kubilay Kocak wrote:

> Have you tried deleting pkg, making sure you're grabbing the latest
> packages, and reinstalling pkg?
>
> a) pkg should not be segfaulting
> b) if you're not on the latest pkg version, the bug could have already
> been fixed

OK, I did a bit more digging, and found that during one of my more
desperate i.e. less lucid moments I had renamed /var/db/pkg to .../pkg.old
in an attempt to load all of ports again, which I now remember was failing
because of a FreeBSD version mismatch[*].  Looks like pkg got upset and
crashed...

Anyway, here's what you wanted (after I renamed it back):

pkg-1.5.3                          >   succeeds port (port has 1.2.7)

So yeah, I'm outta date, so I have some work to do...

[*]
Because this is a binary-only system (as supplied to me), the script to
bump the patch level is not present, but it gets incremented on a kernel
update, thus we have:

    aneurin# uname -r
    9.3-RELEASE-p21

but I know it's at p29 because I faithfully track all updates.

No matter what mirror or technique (FTP/HTTP) was used to load "ports" I
get something like "not found on this server" or something, so I gave up;
it was looking for -p21 but only say -p25 was available.

Does that make sense?