10/stable virtualbox-ose crashes

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Fri May 29 22:16:38 UTC 2015

On 05/29/15 14:19, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Russell L. Carter <rcarter at pinyon.org
> <mailto:rcarter at pinyon.org>> wrote:

[...]

>     I maintain my packages with poudriere.  I build the world+kernel on
>     another system and install via NFS onto the poudriere package builder.
>     poudriere keeps its own world in a chroot, of course.  But it doesn't
>     build a kernel.  Which src.conf should the PORTS_MODULES be added to?
>
>     Thanks the help,
>     Russell
>

> If you run stable or current, I would not use packages for kernel
> modules. Build them from ports. They have nothing to link to, so the
> issues with mixing ports and packages should not arise.
>
> I don't know any sane way other than this to deal with kernel modules on
> stable or head.

Ah.  Now we get to the interesting problems.  virtualbox-ose-kmod is a
runtime dependency of virtualbox-ose, and my understanding was (maybe
wrong?) that poudriere will build packages for all dependencies, and
then pkg install virtualbox-ose will install those dependencies.

src.conf's PORTS_MODULES updates the specified ports using the local
ports tree, correct?  I will need to ensure poudriere's ports tree is
the same as /usr/ports.

Then thinking about separate world/kernel and package builders, that
begins to look very high maintenance.  Both world and poudriere
packages building should probably live on the same system.

NFS installs would then require exporting /usr/ports on the world/pkgs
build system so that clients could install the updated ports kernel
modules specified in PORTS_MODULES.

Still, the problem remains about how to make sure the right thing
happens so that poudriere's kernel module packages built as
dependencies don't conflict with PORTS_MODULES kernel modules.

Gack.  I give up for now.

Russell