persistent svn error message

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Tue May 12 06:03:48 UTC 2015

horst leitenmueller <horst.leitenmueller at liwest.at> wrote:

> you can try to follow this posting
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13376483/how-to-solve-svn-error-e155010
>
> first:
>
> svn cleanup   (in /usr/ports/)
>
> if not helping you have to check WHY this node was not updated/ removed or whatever..
>
> hope info helps a little

     I took a look at that page.  Its example shows two error messages, the
latter of which looks like the one I got.  But I didn't get any other error.
Nevertheless, I did try the rest of the procedure, but it didn't make any
difference (other than to download all the updates that had accumulated over
the last several days that I had not been running "svn update" on /usr/ports.
     However, the web site looked pretty cool, so I'm bookmarking it for the
future. :-)
     On Mon May 11 12:49:06 2015 David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org> wrote:

>I don't know what causes it, but if your /usr/ports is just an SVN
>working copy, I suspect tha tthe easiest course of action would be to

     It nearly is.

>move it aside (by renaming it), then checking out a fresh new copy.
>
>(You could then move over anything that hadn't been created by SVN,
>e.g., the former /usr/ports/distfiles and /usr/ports/packages, and blow

     I recovered distfiles and local patches, but...oops...forgot packages.
However, I did back up the old /usr/ports, which is where I recovered the
distfiles from, so I can get packages back, too.  Thanks for the reminder!

>away the old /usr/ports -- or keep it around to try to figure out what
>was causing the issue.)

     Well, given that a new checkout got rid of the problem message, I can
surmise that the problem was indeed on my system and not the server.  I'm
unlikely to find the source of the problem, but the web page to which Horst
directed me did have a comment added by a later poster that suggested that
an interrupted svn run might have been the origin of the problem.  I don't
like doing those checkouts because they take so long, which was why I was
hoping to find a shorter method of correction.  Oh, well...on to the next
problem on my list (but in a separate posting).
     Thanks much to both of you for your replies.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *