Why pkg-install is run during port build?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Mar 30 22:56:13 UTC 2015

Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> writes:

> On 03/30/2015 14:42, Matthew Donovan wrote:
>> With FreeBSD packages and ports are the same. As it is tje same database
>
> No, package and port are different things.
> Ports are the recipes to build packages or install directly, they are
> in file system under /usr/ports, and packages are the collection of
> binaries that can be installed, located in the repository, like one
> that is being pointed to by /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
>
>From your first message I wasn't sure you were actually running the
current ports/package tools (pkg(8)), but mentioning FreeBSD.conf tells
us that you are.

> My question is why pkg-install is run during the stage phase? Isn't
> this the wrong thing to do? I think only make install should run it.

The whole point of the stage phase is to install the port into a
transitional area (STAGEDIR), from which a package is built. That
package is what is actually installed into the real system.

This is the "new" way of doing things, meaning it's been around in
mainstream use for "only" a couple of years or so.