net/unison240 depends on lang/ocaml-nox11

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Sun Mar 22 00:05:46 UTC 2015

Guido Falsi wrote:

> Exactly.
>
> There are four cases:
>
> one asks for both with or without X11, works fine, in both.

This is all ok.
> one asks for ocaml without X11 and unison with X11, this is wrong and
> cannot obviously work.

Absolutely.  But this in theory should disable X11 in unison
automatically (something that cannot happen atm)
> last case is asking for ocaml with X11 and unison without. This could
> work in theory, and will work on a live system, but will not work in
> poudriere at present, due to ocaml changing it's package name
> dynamically. I don't know how to make it work with the present ports system.

This would be seemingly common, but is often a mistake.

> This fourth case anyway makes little sense to me anyway, once you have
> pulled in the X11 dependency why not use it in all ports which can take
> advantage of it?

Absolutely - however this is where it comes wrong in many ways.

There is a drive to push as much as possible to packages, rather than
source no problem with that.

poudriere is there for people like me where I have 50+ servers running
the same package set and therefore we build our own repo and therefore
all options should be consistent....  So then comes a global setting
being overridden by a local setting... which runs dangerous because in
my case I had X11 set and not set at the same time across dependent ports...

In theory it should reject the config or override one (though then do
you override nox11 or with x11.)

Anyhow... enough of my comments, looks like you're on top of it and
others in this thread are being a lot more helpful that I ever will be.

Regards,

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/