<118>sysctl: unknown oid 'sysctl compat.linux.osrelease' at line 11: No such file or directory

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Thu Mar 12 17:55:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 08:20:27 -0700 (PDT) Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bris.ac.uk>
wrote

> >From bsd-lists at bsdforge.com Thu Mar 12 15:16:15 2015

> >> # kldstat
> >> Id Refs Address            Size     Name
> >>  1    9 0xffffffff80200000 e33630   kernel
> >>  2    1 0xffffffff81034000 e10350   nvidia.ko
> >>  3    1 0xffffffff81e45000 2ba58    bwn_v4_ucode.ko
> >> # kldload linux
> >> kldload: can't load linux: module already loaded or in kernel
> >> #
> >>
> >> I have in the kernel config file:
> >>
> >> options COMPAT_43
> >> options COMPAT_LINUX32
> >> options LINPROCFS
> >> options LINSYSFS
> >>
> >> Perhaps I also need to add
> >>  options COMPAT_LINUX ?
> >By virtue of the fact that kldstat(8) returns nvidia. You
> >can be assured that linux has already been loaded, or
> >rather, that linux is already available. Which suggests to
> >me that it is already part of your kernel. dmesg(8)
> >(/var.run/dmesg.boot) might well reveal that, for you.
> >Perhaps even in /var/log/messages.
>
> $ grep -i linux /var/run/dmesg.boot
> $
>
> What does this tell me?
[in your case] apparently, nothing. I have chosen not
to include linux in my kernels, for convenience reasons.
Should I need to update linux, or something goes wrong
using the linux ABI. I can simply unload it, and deal
with it accordingly. FWIW I know from experience that
the nvidia blob will refuse to load, if the linux ABI
is not present/available. So it's safe to assume, that
in your case , the linux ABI
1) is available
2) must have come from within your kernel
I'm sure it's possible to query various aspects of
linux available. maybe by/through
/proc or
/compat/linux/proc and surely by other means. But I
have made no effort to do so in the past. So I couldn't
be of much help, there.

All the best.

> Thanks
>
> Anton