pkgng deviates from defaults?

Carsten Jensen tomse at tomse.dk
Mon Mar 9 19:05:29 UTC 2015

On 09-03-2015 17:34, Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Adam McDougall <mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu> wrote:

>>> Sorry I don't think I was clear.
>>> Some applications wants php5 and some applications wants php56 when
>>> upgrading using pkg-ng.
>>> Using pkg-ng one cannot upgrade i.e. both phpMyAdmin and an other web
>>> based application due to this conflict.
>>>
>>> So while the upgrade happens to upgrade to php56 it also removes the
>>> other web application, as it only wants php5.
>>>
>>> Most of the applications on the server is maintained by pkg-ng, and it
>>> conflicts itself.
>>>
>>> Basically there are now 2 "default" php versions used by pkg-ng
>>> meaning, _I_ am not trying to upgrade to php56, pkg-ng does but it also
>>> tries to upgrade php5.
>>>
>>> I can't find any hardcode to php56 in the Makefile of databases/phpmyadmin
>>>
>>> I don't know if this is expressed better, I hope so atleast.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>> Carsten
>>>
>> I think there is some confusion because the default PHP version in ports
>> recently changed to 5.6, and now the official packages are pulling in 5.6:
>>
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=379433
>>
>> pkg sometimes tries to remove conflicting packages (like ones that need
>> 5.5) unless you "pkg upgrade" without specifying a package and then it
>> has better information on what to reinstall so packages might not get
>> removed.
> In fact pkg(8) will not allow conflicting packages to be installed at
> all. The result is that if you want to install a package that would
> introduce a conflict in the installed package database the conflict
> has to be resolved one way or another. The only solution at the moment
> is to remove the offending packages from the existing installed
> packages. This is not a pkg(8) limitation but the consequence of how
> ports(7) system deals with conflicts and lack of infrastructure to
> properly allow multiple versions of the same software to co-exist.
>
> -Kimmo
Lots of good answers, thank you :-)

I can understand that php 5.6 is now the default, I did major upgrades a
few weeks back,
and it was 5.4 that was the default then.  Thats not a problem for me as
long as the upgrade
process isn't troublesome.

But I'm wondering why pkg-ng wants to remove other packages rather than
just upgrading
or reinstalling due to dependencies have changed.
Shouldn't these applications have been built using the new defaults?

The problems occured during the simple:
pkg upgrade

oh, and I've seen a couple of lines similar to this:
mod_php5 has no direct installation candidates, change it to mod_php5?
[Y/n]:

no matter what I've chosen it does nothing than exiting to the shell,
trying to run pkg upgrade
again and it asks the same question.

Carsten