Philip Brown...United Way of Manatee County

A.J. "Fonz" van Werven freebsd at skysmurf.nl
Mon Mar 2 22:23:14 UTC 2015

Dave Horsfall wrote:

> In other words, the FreeBSD lists, by permitting non-subscribers to post
> to them, are spam-magnets.  And the spammers know this.

Yep. Most FreeBSD mailing lists do not use e.g. greylisting or something
along those lines. And as a result, a lot of spam gets through.

Personally I would definitely welcome a scheme where new posters need to
be approved by moderators who can blacklist spammers and whitelist genuine
submitters, but there probably isn't enough manpower to make that happen.
I for one would be perfectly happy to help, but it would take (a hell of a
lot) more than just little old me to do the job.

AvW

--
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.