cups, and hplip too, fail to recognize printer when I try to print

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 2 04:39:35 UTC 2015

I have printer, HP_LaserJet_Professional_M1212nf_MFP, seem to have set it up with cups after running hp-setup (not sure about whether hp-setup was successful), but when I run a command to print, get "unknown printer", even though I copy/paste the overlong name with the mouse to avoid a typo.

lpoptions shows

copies=1 device-uri=socket://192.168.0.103 finishings=3 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 marker-change-time=0 number-up=1 printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info='HP LaserJet Professional M1212nf MFP' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-location=residence printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet Professional m1212nf MFP, hpcups 3.14.10, requires proprietary plugin' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1433062381 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8425484 printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_Professional_M1212nf_MFP

lpstat -p -d shows

printer HP_LaserJet_Professional_M1212nf_MFP is idle.  enabled since Sun May 31 08:53:01 2015
system default destination: HP_LaserJet_Professional_M1212nf_MFP

lp newslet/huberwinerycoupon.ps   produces

lpr: lp: unknown printer

lp -d HP_LaserJet_Professional_M1212nf_MFP newslet/huberwinerycoupon.ps   also produces

lpr: HP_LaserJet_Professional_M1212nf_MFP: unknown printer

lpr and lp have same effect, using huberwinerycoupon.pdf also fails just the same.

huberwinerycoupon.ps was produced from huberwinerycoupon.pdf by xpdf.

Is there something I can do to make this work, short of buying a new printer and/or switching to Linux, or buying and installing MS-Windows?

Is cups (I have latest version, 1.7.3) broken or just user-hostile?

I've long known that cups is not user-friendly.

>From NetBSD (current, 7.99.15, i386), on the other computer, I fail the same way.

I did build and install emulators/wine-devel on the other computer in NetBSD-current (7.99.15) from pkgsrc for both i386 and amd64; I could try that with the Windows software.

I also intend to build and install wine-devel for FreeBSD from ports, both i386 and amd64, not only for printing.

Tom