freebsd-ports Digest, Vol 633, Issue 2

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Tue Jul 21 00:52:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:14:35 -0400 Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov at mail.lifanov.com>
wrote

WARNING: I'm catching up on my email. So if this has already been
addressed, please direct to /dev/null

> > I am encouraged to hear there are a couple of different options which
> > could be explored. As I have gone and built the package, I have
> > discovered that I do not actually use the SASL option, but the DOVECOT2
> > option. I now have a couple of questions:
> >
> > 1. What is the difference between DOVECOT{,2} and simply SASL? Is SASL
> > actually Cyrus SASL? After reading the Makefile, I'm not sure.
> >
> > 2. If I actually want the DOVECOT2 and not the SASL option, is it likely
> > I am going to be able to (advocate for and) get a binary package from
> > upstream servers at some point? How can the range of options be handled?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Greg.
>
> I +1 this request. I also use mail/postfix with DOVECOT2 option and this
> is the only blocker for me to use upstream packages on this system.
> Postfix users generally run Dovecot already anyway, so it removes
> another package from the mix as opposed to the SASL option. Cyrus SASL
> is yet another thing to configure separately as well.
>
> - Nikolai Lifanov
Then do you're fellow postfix users a favor, and be a hero. Create
a sub port: postfix-dovecot[0-9].
Honestly, sub ports are dead simple by comparison to a standard port.
Most of your work has already been accomplished by the parent port.
I'm tempted to do it myself. But I'm at ~60 ports already. 8-()

All the best.

--Chris