print/texlive-texmf MASTER_SITE allows 10 ftp connections only?

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Mon Jul 20 14:09:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:28:11 +0200 Marko Cupać <marko.cupac at mimar.rs> wrote

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to update all the ports on my desktop via portmaster, and
> it is stuck trying to fetch distfile of texlive-texmf:
>
> => Attempting to fetch
> ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2015/texlive-20150523-texmf.tar.xz
> fetch:
> ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2015/texlive-20150523-texmf.tar.xz:
> Not logged in
>
> I tried to login in interactive ftp session:
>
> ftp> o
> (to) ftp.tug.org
> Connected to tug.org.
> 220 ProFTPD 1.3.5a Server (tug) [130.225.2.178]
> Name (ftp.tug.org:pacija): anonymous
> 331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password
> Password:
> 530 Sorry, the maximum number of allowed clients (10) are already connected.
> ftp: Login failed
>
> Perhaps 10 simultaneous clients limit does not make service very
> functional?
You might find you get better results filing a bug for this at
bugs.freebsd.org.
I can imagine that hosting TextLive, given it's size, is probably
somewhat challenging. Allowing more than 10 users would likely
bring the data rate to a crawl. Might be time for the author to
look into aggregating a few (source) hosting sites, and implementing
a round-robin scheme.

--Chris