help update cad/z88 port

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 21:41:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bris.ac.uk> wrote:
> The PR provides a patch to update the new location
> of the disfile and a new distinfo accordingly.
>
> I cannot figure out how the patch files should be updated
> after make extract. I tried, but got lost in paths so
> I cannot apply even the first patch cleanly.
> This is what I need help with. It also seems that the
> code structure might have changed, so the build process
> might have to change too. But for now I just want to
> update all patches under files.

Aha, because of this:

===>  Found saved configuration for z88-14.0_1
===>   z88-14.0_1 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
=> z88v14os_english.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/z88.
=> Attempting to fetch http://download.z88.de/z88os/z88v14os_english.tar.gz
z88v14os_english.tar.gz                       100% of   61 MB  739 kBps 01m26s
===> Fetching all distfiles required by z88-14.0_1 for building
===>  Extracting for z88-14.0_1
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for z88/z88v14os_english.tar.gz.
===>  Patching for z88-14.0_1
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for z88-14.0_1
File to patch:

In general, when a new release introduces major changes in a program,
you might have to start over.
So in this case, it might be better to start with an empty files
directory and then add to it as you find it necessary.
The same goes for the post-patch and other targets in the Makefile;
they must be adapted to the new release.

In general, you create a patched version of a source file, then you
use a tool (I used patchtool[1]) to create the patch and put it into
the files directory for you.
Repeat until the program compiles. Test, fix and repeat until the program works.
This requires human help, there are no tools which can do all of this
automatically.