testing the value of ${CXX} in ports Makefile

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Fri Jan 30 06:34:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:43:38 -0800 (PST) Don Lewis <truckman at FreeBSD.org> wrote

> I need to test the value of ${CXX} in the Makefile for a port and am
> getting unexpected results.  Here is a simplified version of the
> Makefile:
>
> PORTNAME=    junk
> PORTVERSION=    0.0.0
> CATEGORIES=    devel
> DISTFILES=
>
> MAINTAINER=    truckman at FreeBSD.org
> COMMENT=    junk
>
> USE_GCC=    4.9+
>
> .include <bsd.port.pre.mk>
>
> post-patch:
>     echo CXX=${CXX}
> .if ${CXX} == g++49
>     echo detected g++49
> .else
>     echo did not detect g++49
> .endif
>
> .include <bsd.port.post.mk>
>

> If I run "make patch", this is what I get:
>
> # make patch
> ===>   junk-0.0.0 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
> ===> Fetching all distfiles required by junk-0.0.0 for building
> ===>  Extracting for junk-0.0.0
> ===>  Patching for junk-0.0.0
> echo CXX=g++49
> CXX=g++49
> echo did not detect g++49
> did not detect g++49
>

> If I run "make -dA patch" and look at the debug output, I observe
> bsd.gcc.mk getting processed after the .if is evaluated.  When the .if
> is processed, the value of ${CXX} is still c++.  It sort of looks like
> bsd.gcc.mk isn't getting included until bsd.port.post.mk and we are
> relying on lazy expansion to get the correct value of ${CXX} for the
> actions.
>
> It sort of looks like I'll have to do something like:
>
> post-patch:
>     [ ${CXX} = g++49 ] && echo detected g++49
>
> but that just seems goofy.
I'm not attempting to come off as any sot of expert. But it
seems like you're going the long way around. Couldn't you
just as easily REQUIRE, or perhaps even better; simply reverse
the logic;

if ${CXX} != g++49
@VOMIT
endif

It'd be shorter, and still assures the results you require,
no? Just a thought.

--Chris