www/squid does not shutdown via rc

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Wed Jan 28 14:59:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:51:51 +0100
Marko Cupać <marko.cupac at mimar.rs> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 07:11:10 +0000
> Matthew Seaman <matthew at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > On 2015/01/27 03:52, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> > > Doesn't installing a custom kernel break freebsd-update ?
> >
> > No.  freebsd-update has always supported using a custom kernel.  It
> > helps if you name your kernel something other than GENERIC, which
> > you do by creating a modofoed kernel config file
> > in /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf (or i386 if that's your architecture):
> > eg.
> >
> > % cat FOO
> > include GENERIC
> >
> > ident FOO
> >
> > and then add:
> >
> > KERNCONF=	FOO
> >
> > to /etc/make.conf
> >
> > You should also edit /etc/freebsd-update.conf and change the
> > 'Components' line to remove 'kernel' from the list.
> >
> > None of this is absolutely necessary, but it will help you avoid
> > accidentally ending up with the generic kernel.
> >
> > In any case, what you will need to do is rebuild your kernel and
> > reinstall it any time freebsd-update touches the kernel.  You can
> > use freebsd-update to maintain the kernel sources, which will pull
> > in the needed updates to the kernel sources.
>
> The timing for this is really unfortunate for me, because I have just
> re-installed my FreeBSD fleet of some 20 virtual servers without
> sources included, and I just introduced "binary only" policy (ok I do
> build my own ports on one server in poudriere, but all other servers
> use packages).
>
> I guess theoretically it is possible to make "kernel build server"
> which will build custom kernel for distribution to other servers. I
> am just not sure how will RELEASE userland tolerate STABLE kernel.
>
> Does this sound reasonable? Any tips?
>
> Thank you in advance,

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

@Kevin:
Your outline of kernel patching procedure is helpful and corresponds
in most aspects what I have thought so far. I aggree with you that
patching, building and installing a custom kernel can be managed. And I
am sure that I can do it.

So getting a custom kernel installed is one thing but keeping your
system in a manageable way is another. Kurt and Mattew pointed out that
you want to keep freebsd-update working in a reliable way and this
obviously needs some manual interaction. Information about it is
not too easily gathered and answers given here still leave some
question open to me.

I have had a hard time with freebsd-update when upgrading 10.0-RELEASE
-> 10.1-RELEASE:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/segmentation-fault-while-upgrading-from-10-0-release-to-10-1-release.48977/page-2#post-277094
and I do not want to get even more trouble letting
freebsd-update confuse my system with a mixture of GENERIC and custom
kernels ending in a situation where none of them is able to boot.

I have learned that I can advice freebsd-update to not update my kernel
but am still confused whether it is the version under /boot/GENERIC or
the one under /boot/kernel. And I would like to know how to tell
FreeBSD how to boot a certain kernel. All I know so far is that if a
kernel fails to boot you have to boot into recovery and move kernel.old
to kernel. Is there a boot menu available with the FreeBSD boot loader
which would simplify life a lot?

Furthermore, installing a custom kernel influcences a subsequent build
world process in  a way that I do not yet fully understand.

If all above is clarified I could go the way of using a custom kernel.
But to be honest: I would do it only, because I have just one
FreeBSD server to mannage this way. The other FreeBSD based servers
have FreeNAS and pfSense and are managed differently. But if I was an
administrator with several FreeBSD servers, this would not be a way to
go.

Regards,
Peter