www/squid does not shutdown via rc

Marko Cupać marko.cupac at mimar.rs
Tue Jan 27 10:51:59 UTC 2015

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 07:11:10 +0000
Matthew Seaman <matthew at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 2015/01/27 03:52, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> > Doesn't installing a custom kernel break freebsd-update ?
>
> No.  freebsd-update has always supported using a custom kernel.  It
> helps if you name your kernel something other than GENERIC, which you do
> by creating a modofoed kernel config file in /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf (or
> i386 if that's your architecture): eg.
>
> % cat FOO
> include GENERIC
>
> ident FOO
>
> and then add:
>
> KERNCONF=	FOO
>
> to /etc/make.conf
>
> You should also edit /etc/freebsd-update.conf and change the
> 'Components' line to remove 'kernel' from the list.
>
> None of this is absolutely necessary, but it will help you avoid
> accidentally ending up with the generic kernel.
>
> In any case, what you will need to do is rebuild your kernel and
> reinstall it any time freebsd-update touches the kernel.  You can use
> freebsd-update to maintain the kernel sources, which will pull in the
> needed updates to the kernel sources.

The timing for this is really unfortunate for me, because I have just
re-installed my FreeBSD fleet of some 20 virtual servers without sources
included, and I just introduced "binary only" policy (ok I do build my
own ports on one server in poudriere, but all other servers use packages).

I guess theoretically it is possible to make "kernel build server" which
will build custom kernel for distribution to other servers. I am just
not sure how will RELEASE userland tolerate STABLE kernel.

Does this sound reasonable? Any tips?

Thank you in advance,
--
Marko Cupać