www/squid does not shutdown via rc

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Mon Jan 26 23:18:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 21:25:14 +0100
Marko Cupać <marko.cupac at mimar.rs> wrote:

> > No.  Unless these are either security fixes or fixes for a major
> > regression (which this is not) in 10.1-RELEASE, then they won't be
> > applied to that branch.
>
> From OS point of view, this could be indeed seen as minor regression.
>
> But please consider server admin's point of view:
> - squid33 had latest release on 2014-08-27
> - squid33 has been scheduled for expiration on 2015-01-31, but was
>   extended to 2015-05-31 because of ntlm_auth issue in squid34
> - squid34 does not run on 10.1-RELEASE-pX
> - 10.2-RELEASE is not likely to be before 2015-05-31
>
> Which means that pkg installs of latest squid (www/squid34) will be
> useless on latest FreeBSD release (10.1-RELEASE) for a long time.
>
> > They will, however, be in the next release cut from stable/10, which
> > will be 10.2-RELEASE, and presumably in releases from other branches
> > from now on.
> >
> > Your best recourse at the moment is to manually patch the kernel
> > sources and build yourself a custom kernel on the affected machines.
>
> I was looking forward to avoid it. Perhaps I'm succumbing to
> conformism.

I am suffering from the same 10.1/Squid problem for some time and I am
glad stumbling across this thread. Fortunately Squid is running stable
apart from this shutdown issue.

To me it looks like a serious kernel issue and I can hardly believe it
will not be fixed in the 10.1-RELEASE.

It is quite an effort to compile, manually patch and install a custom
kernel, if you aren't too experienced like I am. I have only managed
building the GENERIC kernel so far as part of the build world process
when upgrading to 10.1.

Regards,
Peter