[HEADSUP] Upcoming change in dependency registration

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Thu Jan 22 20:23:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 19:09:13 +0100 Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org> wrote

> Hi all
>
> Some changes are coming to the ports, the diff is rather simple, but the
> change of behaviour is worse notifying all maintainers:
>
> Currently and since very long the dependency registration in the ports tree
> is based on the origin of the packages. which makes it unfriendly with
> FLAVORS and Subpackages.
>
> The ports tree has been changed in the branch
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/projects/rework-dependency-registration/
>
> so now it basically do the same kind of mechanism which is done during the
..

> Last side effect it also prepare the way to be able to depend on provides and
> depend correctly on "smart dep" aka "perl5>=5.18.2_3<5.20"
>
> This change is being exp-run and will be committed as soon as it is stable
> enough
>
> Best regards,
> Bapt
Hi Bapt.
Will this be OR'ed? In other words; will this create compatibility
issues for anyone using ports without this change? While I develop
on 11-CURRENT. I wonder about developers that aren't, or haven't yet
incorporated this new change? (granted, developers *should* always
be running *fairly* current revision(s)).
I guess I'm just wondering if ports, and those still using them, that
don't *yet* incorporate this change, will still continue to work
as intended/expected (at least for awhile).

I'm still reading the proposed changes. :)

Thanks.

--Chris