CURRENT breaks loading of nvidia.so

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sat Jan 17 15:48:40 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 04:45:04PM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On 01/17/15 16:18, Bob Willcox wrote:
> > Yesterday when I upgraded my current box I encountered this failure when
> > attempting to load the nvidia-driver (nvidia.so):
> >
> > link_elf_obj: symbol _callout_stop_safe undefined
> > linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
> >
> > So, today I updtated my system again today hoping it might be fixed but the
> > problem persists.
> >
> > System info:
> >
> > FreeBSD han.immure.com 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #4 r277299: Sat Jan 17 08:52:41 CST 2015     bob at han.immure.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HAN  amd64
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob
> >

> Hi,
>
> The nvidia-driver package needs to be recompiled with the latest
> FreeBSD-current sources, because of changes in the callout subsystem.
>
> If this is not possible, we can temporarily add the "_callout_stop_safe"
> symbol to the kernel for some transition time.

While I'm running i386 (vs. amd64), I have not encountered the cited
issue.

Given the above, I suspect that the fact that I have the line:

PORTS_MODULES=x11/nvidia-driver

in /etc/src.conf has a fair amount of (positive) influence on that.

(I track stable/10 & head -- on different slices -- daily on my laptop.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Those who murder in the name of God or prophet are blasphemous cowards.