postgresql93 port and libedit

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 04:02:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 8:01 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:27:14PM -0800, Waitman Gobble wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that postgresql93-client port pulls in readline, which is GPLv3.
>> When I get rid of readline in Makefile 'USES' and also change the
>> bottom of the Makefile in postgresql93-server,

>> .include "${.CURDIR}/../postgresql92-server/Makefile"
>>
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--with-libedit-preferred
>>

>> It builds without readline and links against libedit in base:
>>
> except that libedit is not really an alternative as it does not supprot unicode
> (except in head) one solution would be to try linking against the editline port
> which contains the same fixes as libedit in head and see if it works.
>
> Best regards,
> Bapt

Thanks so much for the feedback. I've considered the options regarding
my project and I think it's more work to handle end-user devices with
a pkg repository if I indeed must manage custom ports built using
customized sources. Distributing the initial appliance isn't the
problem, i'm working out an update strategy for down the road.

--
Waitman Gobble
Los Altos California USA