BIND REPLACE_BASE option

Matt Smith fbsd at xtaz.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 12:08:57 UTC 2015

On Jan 14 12:15, Mathieu Arnold wrote:

>Well, like I said, REPLACE_BASE was an abomination that should never have
>existed, now that it's gone, it'll never get back, and you'll never see it
>again.

Doug Barton who used to maintain BIND in both the base system and the
port used to always say that the version in the base system was only
designed to be used as a local resolver on a laptop/desktop. If it was
used as a proper DNS server the port version was meant to be used
instead. Based on this it makes perfect sense why BIND was replaced with
local Unbound in the base, and the ports system still has BIND for
people that were using it.

It should have been a very small minor change. If people didn't want to
have two versions installed then the solution would have been to use
WITHOUT_NAMED or WITHOUT_BIND whatever the knob was in src.conf so that
those files were deleted or not installed in the first place. I do
exactly this for NTPd, OpenSSH, and Unbound all of which I use the port
versions for so don't need them in the base system.

--
Matt