BIND REPLACE_BASE option

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sun Jan 11 17:14:55 UTC 2015

Hi, Reference:

The BSD Dreamer wrote:

> On 2015-01-09 07:42, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> > +--On 8 janvier 2015 19:44:09 -0800 Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
> > | Can you please explain why this option was removed? It's been in the
> > | ports for over 13 years, and lots of users utilized it.
> > |
> > | I realize that BIND is no longer in the base in 10.x, but that would
> > | be a reason to make the option conditional, to continue to support the
> > | substantial user base that is still on 8.x and 9.x.
> >
> > I only removed it from bind99, it was never there in bind910.  I removed it
> > because it was a poor design idea to begin with, and it was making the port
> > harder to maintain.  Also, it was overwriting files in the base system,
> > which is a thing we do not want to do.
> >
> > All you need to do is add:
> >
> > named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
> >
> > to your rc.conf, like the message says when you install the port.
> >
> > It was a bit like the /usr/bin/perl symlink, it was time for it to go.
>
> But, it was a huge and sudden pain for it to suddenly disappear and break
> everything...
>
> I can only abandon FreeBSD as our DNS platform as fast as replacement systems
> appear.
>
> Why have we decided that we're going to cease FreeBSD for our DNS servers
> (after I had made such a strong case for FreeBSD?)  Count the PORTREVISIONs
> to bind before 9.9.4 and after.  Plus look at all the other annoying changes
> in those PORTREVISIONs without that things have been working fine for the
> rest of us before.
>
> I should've been home hours ago...if I haven't been stuck dealing with
> bizarre problems caused by updating a bunch of packages.
>
> Now I have update nagios-plugins, since base nslookup is gone.  Does it end?

( ... As another user/admin of named for years, I've also gnashed teeth
as FreeBSD re-arranged var & chroot & rndc paths yet again, per
version; Needing more version dependent additions to my multi
version wrapper shell. OK, perhaps inevitable, but ... )

The latest FreeBSD named annoyance, ripping named out of src/ (&
apparently abandoning the chroot too I've read ?!), caused me &
presumably numerous other user admins to _Not_ upgrade FreeBSD boxes
until extra free time could be found to deal with FreeBSD gratuitously
consuming user time.

Years back FreeBSD had too many broken ports, but at least then
broken code was still in ports/ even if not enough was marked with
Makefile BROKEN="cause", & often we needed numerous setenv DUDS
"onemore `printenv DUDS`" .

Now FreeBSD ports is in some ways Worse, it regularly loses not
just broken but even working ports, for no Good reason (eg demime
& majordomo etc).

Ports get regularly axed, so user admins know for each FreeBSD
upgrade we've first got to stumble over what ports commiters have
axed, then discover when axed, then recover back from svn to ports/,
then install marked BROKEN=, then develop a fix (if a fix is even
necessary!), then store the patch for automatic application by local
script, (in case FreeBSD fail to accept it ) then convince FreeBSD
that a butchered port thould be restored.

FreeBSD ports axe men are damaging FreeBSD, they should just
assert BROKEN= on broken ports, & Never removing working ports/ !

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Indent previous with "> ".  Interleave reply paragraphs like a play script.