do-install fails when files in .PLIST.mktmp are truncated

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Fri Jan 9 14:33:41 UTC 2015

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 20:33:42 +0800 Ben Woods <woodsb02 at gmail.com> wrote

> On Friday, January 9, 2015, Freddy Andersen <fandersen at youmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you ben! you have no idea how helpful the make and makeplist was for
> > me :) the issues was not with my Makefile but rather that I did not
> > understand what roll the pkg-plist had in the do-install process. I’m all
> > good now and my updated hadoop2 builds and install …
> >
> > Now I just need to figure how I can get this sent to upstream after some
> > testing on my end.
> >

> > On Jan 8, 2015, at 3:02 PM, Ben Woods <woodsb02 at gmail.com
> > <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','woodsb02 at gmail.com');>> wrote:
> >
> > First off, since this is your first attempt to update a port, welcome!
> > There may be a slight hurdle to get over to understanding port basics, but
> > once you get there it is quite rewarding.
> >
> > This resource is priceless, read it and refer back to it often:
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html
> >
> > Also, the great thing about ports is you can read all of the shell
> > scripts that are doing the work if you don't understand something (such as
> > copytree_share), by grepping through the files here:
> > /usr/ports/Mk/
> >
> > Lastly, the mailing lists do not have the formatting features of the
> > forums, so no need for the [FILE][/FILE] stuff.
> >
> > I would say the most obvious thing for your port is the need to update the
> > pkg-plist file which lists ever file your port will install on the system.
> > Easy way to test this with your updated port is to do the following:
> > # cd PORTDIR
> > # make clean
> > # make
> > # make makeplist
> >
> > That will dump the new plist to the console standard output, but doesn't
> > actually update the pkg-plist for you (you have to do that by redirecting
> > the output to the file). But note, you need to follow the instructions of
> > the first line (delete the first line, and check the output of the rest of
> > the file looks reasonable). I would redirect the output to a new plist file
> > and compare the difference before overwriting the main plist file:
> > # make makeplist > pkg-plist.new
> > # diff -u pkg-plist pkg-plist.new
> >
> > Good luck!
> >

> > --
> >
> > --
> > From: Benjamin Woods
> > woodsb02 at gmail.com <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','woodsb02 at gmail.com');>
> >

> Submit a bug report here:
> bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/
>
> Include devel/hadoop2 at the start of the bug title.
>
> Then you need to attach a patch of the changes to the ports tree that will
> update the port per your work.
>
> The easiest way to generate the patch file to update is to ensure you
> retrieved your ports tree using svn (Per
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/svn.html).
>
> Then change devel/hadoop2 to match your needs, and run:
> # cd /usr/ports
> # svn diff devel/hadoop2 > /home/USERNAME/hadoop2.patch

> [...]
In an effort to insure you're submitting a patch ( svn(1) diff(1) )
against what's currently "current" in the ports tree, you might
find the following helpful:

svn co --depth empty svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head 2015-01-09
svn up --set-depth empty 2015-01-09/devel
svn up 2015-01-09/devel/hadoop2

# make your modifications to your port files, then...

cd 2015-01-09/devel
svn diff > 2015-01-09.diff

Then simply attach the diff to a new pr(1)
(https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/)

Best wishes.

--Chris