do-install fails when files in .PLIST.mktmp are truncated

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 23:02:40 UTC 2015

First off, since this is your first attempt to update a port, welcome!
There may be a slight hurdle to get over to understanding port basics, but
once you get there it is quite rewarding.

This resource is priceless, read it and refer back to it often:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html

Also, the great thing about ports is you can read all of the shell
scripts that are doing the work if you don't understand something (such as
copytree_share), by grepping through the files here:
/usr/ports/Mk/

Lastly, the mailing lists do not have the formatting features of the
forums, so no need for the [FILE][/FILE] stuff.

I would say the most obvious thing for your port is the need to update the
pkg-plist file which lists ever file your port will install on the system.
Easy way to test this with your updated port is to do the following:
# cd PORTDIR
# make clean
# make
# make makeplist

That will dump the new plist to the console standard output, but doesn't
actually update the pkg-plist for you (you have to do that by redirecting
the output to the file). But note, you need to follow the instructions of
the first line (delete the first line, and check the output of the rest of
the file looks reasonable). I would redirect the output to a new plist file
and compare the difference before overwriting the main plist file:
# make makeplist > pkg-plist.new
# diff -u pkg-plist pkg-plist.new

Good luck!

From: Benjamin Woods