Generating port changes easily

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Fri Feb 27 18:35:17 UTC 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 08:35:19 -0800 Patrick Powell <papowell at astart.com> wrote

> I have made some modifications to a port - couple of lines in the
> Makefile,  and an updated pkg-plist.
>
> Once upon a time I was shown a script (run_this_script?) to help with
> updating a port.
>
> 1.  Copy the original files in the port to XXX.orig  (or something)
>        For example cp Makefile Makefile.orig
> 2.  Make your changes
>        For example: vi Makefile  ....
> 3.  Now run this script which will generate a DIFF file which can be posted:
>        run_this_script ... >/tmp/changes.shar  ?
>        run_this_script ... >/tmp/diffs                 ?
> 4.  Post the generated file to bugzilla with an update request.
>
> Ummm... is there such a 'run_this_script' or am I indulging in wishful
> thinking?
svn(1) is your friend;

#check out the currently kisted version of your port:
$ svn co --depth empty svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head 2015-02-27
$ svn up --set-depth empty 2015-02-27/<port-category>
$ svn up 2015-02-27/<port-category>/<your-port-name>

# make your modifications to your port, then...
$ cd 2015-02-27/<you-port-name>
$ svn diff > 2015-02-27.diff

NOTE: if you add, or delete files in the port,
you will also need to issue the appropriate
command to svn(1) (delete/add) prior to creating the diff.
But the real answers lie within the svn man pages. :)

Also have a look at diff(1), and patch (1),
diff -u -N newfile.orig newfile > patch-pathname-newfile

and
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
for even greater depth to these topics. :)

HTH

--Chris