squid 3.5 plans

Marko Cupać marko.cupac at mimar.rs
Mon Feb 23 15:31:16 UTC 2015

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 08:28:40 +0100
Marko Cupać <marko.cupac at mimar.rs> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 21:23:15 -0500
> Robert Simmons <rsimmons0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > That is true. It looks like an update to both 3.5 and 3.4 were
> > released on the same day. How about dropping www/squid33 and
> > creating a www/squid34 port. Then updating the www/squid port to
> > 3.5.2.
>
> I would say this is a bad idea, as squid 3.5 does not work on FreeBSD
> 10.1 with GENERIC kernel. Furthermore, it won't be fixed with
> binary patches (ie. until 10.2 or 11.0).
>
> I think www/squid should be recommended squid version for FreeBSD
> users. It wouldn't be appropriate to recommend version which does not
> work without recompiling kernel.
>
> We discussed it not so long ago:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=freebsd-ports@freebsd.org&q=subject:%22Re%3A+www%2Fsquid+does+not+shutdown+via+rc%22&o=newest

I have just installed www/squid33 because I wanted to avoid compiling
custom kernel, but apparently it does not shutdown via rc either.

I think we are closer to conclusion that no version of squid can be
controlled with included rc scripts on 10.1-pX. Perhaps users who
install squid on 10.1 should be warned somehow (pkg message or
something).
--
Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs