[CFT] sysutils/xfce4-power-manager 1.4.2

Olivier Duchateau olivierd at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 17 22:12:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

An update of sysutils/xfce4-power-manager is available for some time in Xfce devel repo. It's time to test it.
Settings manager and panel were rewritten, support of FreeBSD (and DragonFly) was enhanced.

Unfortunatelly panel still crashes (like current version in ports tree), if acpi_video(4), driver, which controls backlight brightness is not functional. OpenBSD users seem to have same problem.

You need to have hw.acpi.video.%s.levels and hw.acpi.video.%s.brightness, otherwise panel crashes. Panel is only essential for backlight brightness, daemon is provided by another port.

On my laptop I can decrease (or increase brightness level with multimedia keys, but not with sysctl).

Now xfce4-power-manager is divided into:
- sysutils/power-manager-common (daemon and settings manager) [1]
- sysutils/xfce4-power-manager (panel plugin) [2]

Power manager supports also LXDE, but lxpanel must be updated.

It's also available in '4.11' branch, see our wiki page [3] for details (this is transitional branch, in other words compatible with our current ports tree, this will change with the 4.12 release).

When panel plugin is running, we can define new mode calls 'presentation mode'. I have experimental patches [4] which inhibits xscreensaver (apply to sysutils/power-manager-common). To enable, new property must be created:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode -n -t bool -s true

To disable:
xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode -T

Enjoy

[1] https://people.freebsd.org/~olivierd/patches/power-manager-common.shar
[2] https://people.freebsd.org/~olivierd/patches/xfce4-power-manager.diff
[3] https://wiki.freebsd.org/Xfce