www/squid does not shutdown via rc

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 23:33:06 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Nick Rogers <ncrogers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Dr. Peter Voigt <pvoigt at uos.de> wrote:

>> > Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
>> >

>> Sorry for the late response. I've had guests for hte past few days and
>> simply have not had time to properly address your concerns.
>>
>> While most of these concerns are not an issue, exactly why gets a bit more
>> complex. And there are some real issues, but this is an exceptionally
>> simple case and eliminates most of them. See comments in-line.
>>

>> > @Kevin:
>> > Your outline of kernel patching procedure is helpful and corresponds
>> > in most aspects what I have thought so far. I aggree with you that
>> > patching, building and installing a custom kernel can be managed. And I
>> > am sure that I can do it.
>> >
>> > So getting a custom kernel installed is one thing but keeping your
>> > system in a manageable way is another. Kurt and Mattew pointed out that
>> > you want to keep freebsd-update working in a reliable way and this
>> > obviously needs some manual interaction. Information about it is
>> > not too easily gathered and answers given here still leave some
>> > question open to me.
>> >

>> It does, but very little. In general, freebsd-update is a binary update
>> tool. While it does update sources, if they are present, it makes no use
>> of
>> those sources.
>>
>> My instructions provided for saving the GENERIC kernel where
>> freebsd-update
>> will use it instead of the running kernel. /boot/GENERIC is used only be
>> freebsd-update. It is otherwise unneeded. This does not touch any files
>> that will normally require merging, which is often the main complication.
>> am unsure whether it will require a merge of the modified source files,
>> but
>> that is easily avoidable renaming /sys/kern/kern_sig.c.orig to overwrite
>> the patched /sys/kern/kern_sig.c file, returning the sources to their
>> original condition.
>> # cp /sys/kern/kern_sig.c.orig /sys/kern/kern_sig.c
>>
>> This is not really required, but will assure that, from the perspective of
>> freebsd-update, the system will be entirely unchanged. There is simply no
>> impact on future updates as there are no changes left.
>>

>> > I have had a hard time with freebsd-update when upgrading 10.0-RELEASE
>> > -> 10.1-RELEASE:
>> >

>> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/segmentation-fault-while-upgrading-from-10-0-release-to-10-1-release.48977/page-2#post-277094
>> > and I do not want to get even more trouble letting
>> > freebsd-update confuse my system with a mixture of GENERIC and custom
>> > kernels ending in a situation where none of them is able to boot.
>> >
>> > I have learned that I can advice freebsd-update to not update my kernel
>> > but am still confused whether it is the version under /boot/GENERIC or
> [...]

It should be the kernel file, itself. Copy /boot/kernel/kernel to
/boot/GENERIC. If you have a modified kernel you can grab the release
kernel from a memstick or other distro. I think the Handbook covers it. I
really recommend reading the freebsd-update section before messing with
this stuff. It's not terribly long, but provides more detailed information
on how to use it than the man page which is more technical and rather terse.

Note that this allows freebsd-update to deal with custom kernels, but not
code mods to things that go into modules.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com