mail/dovecot2: who calls doveconf upon boot?

Marko Cupać marko.cupac at mimar.rs
Mon Feb 2 15:52:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

for a few years I had all the components of my e-mail system on single
server. This includes mainly postfix as smtp server, amavisd-new and
clamav for content scanning, and dovecot2 as imap server. Now I want to
split it so every major component gets its own host.

I have first moved dovecot2 to another server, which worked without any
problems. Next, I moved amavisd-new and clamav which also went OK.
Finally, I moved postfix and it appears to work OK, however there's
this console message upon boot saying:

doveconf: Fatal: open(/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf) failed: No
such file or directory (copy example configs
from /usr/local/share/doc/dovecot/example-config/)

My question is: Who calls doveconf, and for what purpose? Dovecot is
installed on this server only because as postfix' dependency, and it
does not have record in rc.conf. This is on 10.1-RELEASE-p5, with
postfix-2.11.3_3,1 with dovecot2 option, and dovecot2-2.2.15_2, both
built in poudriere.

Thank you in advance,
--
Marko Cupać