pkg info -B not listing all shared libraries

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 19 13:27:56 UTC 2015

On 19/12/2015 13:07, Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
> Does "pkg info -B $pkg_name" only list the shared packages from the first
> level of supporting "ports", or is it supposed to be all shared (ports')
> libraries that are used?

It lists the shared libraries that are:

  * not provided by the base system
  * that any binary or shared library in the package has a reference to
  * but not any shlibs provided by the same package

The 'references' are as shown in the 'Dynamic Section' in the output of
'objdump -x filename'

This does not in general include grandchild dependencies of shlibs
directly required from the package.  The idea here is that the shlib
dependencies can be used for PROVIDES/REQUIRES style dependency
tracking.  We don't want to roll up all of the dependencies all the way
up the tree, because that means we'd end up reinstalling packages
unnecessarily if some grandfather shlib changed.

 	Cheers,

	Matthew