Pseudo-cross compiling

Johannes Totz johannes at jo-t.de
Sat Dec 12 23:20:09 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I'm trying to cross-compile ports from an AMD cpu to an Intel one. All
amd64. There's -march and -mtune involved.
Goal is to produce a ready-to-use VM image, with everything/packages/etc
installed.

The base system was simple.
However, all my attempts with ports have failed so far. Ports will
usually try to run some of their build output, which then fails with
illegal instruction.
Or dependencies are looked up in strange ways, say in LOCALBASE (which
has the AMD/generic variant), but then skips building the Intel binary.

Is this type of cross-compiling supported at all? I know there's a way
to compile for ARM, through QEMU emulation.

Thanks,

Johannes

--
Sent from my <insert random gadget here>