Python and SWIG support in ports?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 8 17:53:43 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Kubilay Kocak <koobs at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 5/12/2015 9:40 AM, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working with the upstream maintainer of M2Crypto (
> > https://gitlab.com/m2crypto/m2crypto ).
> >
> > In the distutils that comes with Python, the swig binary is harcoded
> > to "swig" if on a POSIX system:
> >

> https://hg.python.org/cpython/file/v2.6.2/Lib/distutils/command/build_ext.py#l635
>
> Short-term, swig20 could provide a symlink to the versioned binary until
> a 'more correct' and permanent fix can be made.
>
> I'm not sure what to do about those ports that depend on swig30 in the
> presence of swig20 also being installed, given they don't appear to
> CONFLICT_INSTALL on each other. They both can't provide the swig
> symlink. Supporting swig in DEFAULT_VERSIONS doesn't sound right and is
> probably overkill.

Actually, fixing the swig port in this way with a symlink is not a bad idea
at all.
I've looked at multiple platforms (Linux, OS X, Windows)
and they all install a binary "swig".
Pushing an upstream fix to Python distutils just to appease FreeBSD may not
work out.

The down side of this change would be that you would not be able
to install swig1, swig2, and swig3 at the same time, but that might be OK.

--
Craig