FreeBSD Port: sshguard-ipfw-1.6.1 Problem

khansen khansen at blarg.com
Sat Aug 22 23:14:28 UTC 2015

I've been having a problem with sshguard-ipfw on the following armv6
platforms:

RPI-B
RPI2
BeagleBone Black

Since upgrading sshguard-ipfw from 1.5.X to 1.6.X (including the latest
1.6.1 from the ports tree), sshguard builds and runs but crashes with a
dump as soon as a condition is reached where it needs to insert a rule
into ipfw.  This was not a problem on 1.5.X and only appeared when I
upgraded to 1.6.X.  The FreeBSD version is, and has been, 11-current
across both 1.5.X and 1.6.X versions including:

FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r286133M
FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r280407M

I searched around and couldn't find where this was a known problem or
any discussion about it so I wasn't completely sure if this was an issue
with the port or if it was a configuration issue on my side.  Because it
appeared for me as soon as I upgraded sshguard-ipfw to 1.6.0 my
assumption at this point is an issue with the port.  I'm running
sshguard as a daemon if that makes a difference.  I can insert a rule
into ipfw manually and the daemon for sshguard is running as root.

I'm happy to file a report on this if you'd like but wanted to give you
a heads up, regardless.  I have an example of the dump file created when
this happens and could provide it if it would help.

Thanks for any assistance and for maintaining this port!

Kris