[New Port] Working on Gitlab - Calling for Help and Ideas

Thu Apr 23 07:30:04 UTC 2015

Hello Chris,

> I'm pretty busy ATM. But if you haven't already, *do* read:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
> it addresses the questions you've asked fairly well.
> As to rc(5), and config related files in ${PREFIX}/etc
> there are a good number of working examples in net-mgmt, dns,
> sysutils, and perhaps www, to draw from.
>
> Hope this helps!

I already know the porters handbook, but i appreciate the pointer. Every
time i read it, i become more familiar with it :)

I believe my general purpose question, was not such a good idea. More
specific i have a bunch of questions. The installations guide
(https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlab-recipes/blob/master/install/freebsd/freebsd-10.md)
defines a number of packages to install. But i don't believe this should
be dependencies.

With the following packages i have problems to figure out if they are
really needed:
- sudo
- bash
- icu
- cmake
- pkgconf
- logrotate
- postgresql94-server
- postfix
- nginx

I don't think that postgresql and nginx should be either a run or a
build-dependency. The admin of the server should decide, which webserver
he wants to run.
While postgresql seems mandatory, it's not clear which version is
needed. At the moment i used USES= pgsql.

Here a response by a user would save much time. Otherwise i just have to
try every combination. I've already set up a jail for this - but maybe
somebody has an idea.

Next question: should "gem install bundler --no-ri --no-rdoc" be done by
port-installation? Or not? Or with an rc-script for initialization?

The port requires an git-user and some directory under /home/git. Should
the port add this?

How to handle database initialization? rc-script or manual?

So - any advice or experience is helpful.

Greetings,
Torsten