openssl and bash libcrypto

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au
Fri Apr 10 00:59:20 UTC 2015

Ari,
Yes, /lib/libcrypto.so.7 is part of the base openssl.

I can't help with questions involving poudriere or freebsd-update as I don't use them, though we do use jails to build different architectures and CPU types.

It isn't true that openssl in base or openssl in ports is calling the other.  Most likely there was a port build that required openssl port, and also required something like libarchive or libfetch (for example), both require openssl base (I've found net-mgmt/net-snmp does this).  Your bt reveals that the symbol table is confused, as expected.

If you use pouderie and freebsd-update, you should probably work with the developers to identify the cause, so a fresh start might assist that end. Document the sequence and what you do so it can be reviewed.  :)