ports/base ntpd rc.d script with WITHOUT_NTP=yes

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 9 10:09:39 UTC 2015

On 9/04/2015 2:48 AM, Matt Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded my server to 10.1-STABLE r281264 and when I ran
> mergemaster it told me that /etc/rc.d/ntpd was stale and would I like to
> delete it. It's never done this before. I've figured out it's because I
> have WITHOUT_NTP=yes in /etc/src.conf. I did this because I use the
> ports version of ntpd and thus wanted to remove the base installed
> version so that when I run commands like ntpq it's using my possibly
> newer port installed version and not the older one.
>
> However, the port version doesn't have its own rc script. It usually
> uses the base version with ntpd_program and ntpd_config set.  With this
> latest change it means I have to have the base version installed again.
> Is it possible to get the port version to have its own rc script?

Hi Matt,

It is certainly *possible*, and best addressed with an enhancement
request (via Bugzilla) to the NTP port maintainer, who I've CC'd here.

I like the idea as it improves user experience, removes a POLA
violation, and further decouples ports/pkg from base (which we like)

./koobs