devel/git vs gui

A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven freebsd at skysmurf.nl
Thu Sep 25 12:40:26 UTC 2014

Andriy Gapon wrote:

> I've noticed that pre-built packages for git do not contain the gui
> component. Is possible to flip the options' default?
> Or, better but more laborious, provide a separate git-gui port?

I suppose you could make a slave port. Hava a look at e.g. mail/mutt vs
mail/mutt-lite or editors/vim vs editors/vim-lite to see how the mechanism
works.

I use this myself to create a local port editors/vim-xlite, which is just
vim-lite with only the GTK-2 GUI added to it and nothing else. It works
for me because I build my own package repositories from the ports tree.
But if you can't (or don't want to) build and host your own packages and
thus need this new slave port committed to the ports tree, you may want to
first ask whether such a port would be accepted before spending too much
time and effort on it.

Hope this helps,

AvW

--