pkg 1.3.8 requested but not available?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 22:41:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Patrick Gibson <gibblertron at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The port I was trying to install was lang/v8 (3.18.5). I don't see
> anything in the Makefile that says it needs a particular version of pkg,
> but maybe it's hidden somewhere else. Either way, something seems broken or
> not well thought out. This is an up-to-date 10.0 system with a very vanilla
> configuration.

I think it's the ports system *itself* that now requires it, not particular
ports. Again, see /usr/ports/UPDATING.

(That said, I will not argue that ports has shortcomings; it feels rather
primitive after years of using MacPorts. But these shortcomings mostly fall
out of the ports system itself --- and it's entirely possible that
addressing them requires things like the new pkg, given that ports are
installed via pkg.)