net/ntop strip: ... Invalid operation

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Sep 8 19:54:16 UTC 2014

Am 08.09.2014 um 19:35 schrieb Janos Dohanics:
> On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 17:57:51 +0200
> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 07.09.2014 um 17:36 schrieb Janos Dohanics:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Janos,
>>
>> tl;dr: running "make clean && make install clean" should fix it.
>>
>> The changes to the port need you to go through all the build phases
>> again, which may be a bit inconvenient on slow/loaded computers, but
>> otherwise changes like USE_BINUTILS are not picked up.
>>
>> Tech background: ntop uses GNU configure, which records the state of
>> several variables in its generated files (Makefile in particular), and
>> the FreeBSD ports framework avoids re-running configure unless you
>> "make clean".  libtool has been running "strip", not
>> "/usr/local/bin/strip", as a consequence.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Matthias
>
> Matthias,
>
> Thank you for your patience and explanation.
>
> I did "make clean" and then "make install clean", but ended up with the
> same error. I posted the entire build at
> http://wwwr.3dresearch.com/psa/ntop_build if that might give any clues.

Janos,

now that makes me scratch my head a bit, because I have built it on
redports successfully, but I also see that it is just using the bare
"strip" command, not one qualified with path.

<https://redports.org/~mandree/20140905211100-64558-241129/ntop-5.0.1_9.log>

Can you try something?

In the port's Makefile, add

CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        STRIP=${LOCALBASE}/bin/strip

right underneath the USE_BINUTILS= yes line.

Let me know if that works.  I have also committed this as r367688, so it
should be available through portsnap and SVN mirrors soon.

You can see that you have it from the $FreeBSD: line,
it should now read

     $FreeBSD: head/net/ntop/Makefile 367688 2014-09-08 19:52:22Z mandree $

If it still fails, please post the build log and your /etc/src.conf and
/etc/make.conf.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Best regards,
Matthias