service doen't get started at boottime, but can start manually

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 15:00:28 UTC 2014

On Monday 08 Sep 2014 09:47:07 Stefan Esser wrote:

> This was for a reason:

[snip detailed explanation why PROVIDE: is needed in local rc scripts]

> This is obviously a shortcoming in the documentation, which should
> be fixed.  AFAIK, the old style startup files have never been
> deprecated and are still fully supported ...

Thanks for explaining this, it was very informative.

I think it would be good if the documentation could indicate that the
PROVIDE: line is mandatory for scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

A couple of months ago I created a simple rc script based on the
example at <https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/rc-scripting/rcng-confdummy.html> which does not use PROVIDE:. Since this script needed
to run before local filesystems were mounted I had to install it into
/etc/rc.d so fortunately it worked for me. If it had gone into
/usr/local/etc/rc.d I would have been having difficulty working out
why the documentation was providing code that didn't work.

--
Mike Clarke