Is LibreOffice dependency on Java 1.6 still valid?

Bruce Albrecht bruce at freebsd.zuhause.org
Mon Sep 8 03:16:16 UTC 2014

On 09/07/14 14:26, Gökşin Akdeniz wrote:
>>> As far as I can tell, LibreOffice on other platforms has supported
>>> Java 1.7+ since the LibreOffice 3.6 release (or maybe earlier), and
>>> OpenOffice supports Java 1.7+ also.  Why does the FreeBSD port
>>> require Java 1.6 for building when the Java option is set?
>>>
>> Probably no one tried it yet.
> I did it. It did not build.
>
>> Changing a libreoffice build dependency is a big job to validate.
>> My advice would be to open an account on http://www.redports.org, and
>> submit a patch changing editors/libreoffice/Makefile to either change
>> JAVA_VERSION to 1.7+, and see if it passes a redports build.
>>
> First attempt was defining JAVA version 1.7 via /etc/make.conf.
> Libreoffice started to build and it stopped. Second attempt was
> editing /usr/ports/editors/libreoffice/Makefile and build process was
> stopped again. AFAK @bapt mentioned that problem when JAVA default
> version swtiched to 1.7+. His message is available at mailing list
> archives. Both attempts were limited to java version not compiler or
> else.

I just changed the JAVA_VERSION=1.6 to JAVA_VERSION=1.7+, deleted
openjdk1.6, did a make clean, make deinstall reinstall, and libreoffice
built successfully on FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 amd64.  I was able to
start up libreoffice, and in the preferences, the Java options finds the
openjdk7 runtime and lets me select it as my Java runtime environment.
Off hand, I'm not sure how to exercise the Java bits.  I did try to open
some IRS 1040 spreadsheets I have, and they had some errors in their
macros, so it's possible that the errors are related to Java 1.7.  I'll
have to try reinstalling openjdk1.6 and rebuild against it and see if
the errors go away.