Staging for ... Generating temporary packing list mtree: /usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist: No such file or directory

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Sun Sep 7 22:25:03 UTC 2014

It appears to me that if the portmaster man page's instructions for "Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all your ports" are still supposed to work that the new staging for ports is currently broken.

Context: As part of an attempt to get ready to test some of Justin Hibbits recent powerpc/powerpc64 related changes I attempted to follow the portmaster man page's instructions for "Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all your ports". (I decide to start from an SSD that had contents from back in mid July and decide to just reinstall all the ports.)

The result of the portmaster `cat ~/ports_origins` (my chosen file name for steps 1 and 10) failed with:

gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/obj/portswork/usr/ports/devel/gobject-introspection/work/gobject-introspection-1.36.0'
===>  Staging for gobject-introspection-1.36.0_3
===>   Generating temporary packing list
mtree: /usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/gobject-introspection

===>>> make stage failed for devel/gobject-introspection
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> Update for devel/gobject-introspection failed
===>>> Aborting update

Looking around after this showed that /usr/local/etc/mtree does not exist (but /usr/local/etc did exist).

This may be in part because when I interpreted step 9 of the man page's instructions

           9. Manually check /usr/local and /var/db/pkg
              to make sure that they are really empty

I did:

rm -fr /usr/local/*
rm -fr /var/db/pkg/*

because there was lots of stuff around and I interpreted "empty" rather literally. Another possibility is that there is some place recording historical mtree information that needed /usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist cleared out in some way but the instructions did not lead to my doing so.

Anybody know how I would get /usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist back in place or otherwise be able to rebuild and reinstall my ports?

[Justin: This gives an idea where I'm at relative to testing the Xorg/xfce4 failure on powerpc/GENERIC. buildworld, kernel, installworld seems to have worked fine. But I do not have Xorg or xfce4 in place yet to repeat the previously failing steps.]

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net