service doen't get started at boottime, but can start manually

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 11:19:29 UTC 2014

On Sunday 07 Sep 2014 04:03:25 Scot Hetzel wrote:

> > I had a look at scripts/refdb.in, it is not a proper rc script for
> > FreeBSD, as it is missing several keywords:
> >
> > # PROVIDE: <- all scripts need this

I'm not sure that PROVIDE is still mandatory. But run_rc_command() in
rc.subr does require "name" to be defined.

There are several example scripts at
<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/rc-scripting/index.html>,
most of which which do not include PROVIDE.

Only one of the example scripts uses PROVIDE but the text implies that
it's only needed if other scripts are to depend on it.
<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/rc-scripting/rcng-hookup.html>

--
Mike Clarke