[BRAINSTORMING] simplifying maintainer's life

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 3 08:25:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

On of the most borring thing IMHO in the plist maintainance is all the
directories.

I have been working on some evolutions I want to share and discuss before making
them official.

First you have to know that since pkg 1.3 @dirrm and @dirrmtry are equivalent.

Evolutions:
1/ stop prepending directories in plist with @dir*: let pkg discover the path
correspond to a directory and handle it as such (easy)

2/ make pkg automatically remove directories under PREFIX without the need of
adding them in plist, such as only empty directories and directories not under
PREFIX will have to be listed. Of course pkg will not try to remove directories
owned by another package.

To achieve the point 2 that will mean we will stop using the mtree inside
packages and create a "hier" package that will have the default hierarchy and
every package but pkg will depend on this hier package (except if PREFIX !=
LOCALBASE)

2 bonus of this approach:
- it will speed up pkg operation by avoiding to have to extract the mtree for
  each package installation
- it will simplify a lot check-plist

Any opinion here?

regards,