[HEADSUP] pkg(8) is now the only package management tool

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:47:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Michelle Sullivan <michelle at sorbs.net>
wrote:

> This is my only option - however, I suspect I'm already f**ked - my
> build servers kicked off at 4am and the non pkg jails automatically
> converted themselves to pkg.. the pkg jails obviously continued...
> however I now have a repo that contains half pkg versions in the same
> directory structure and indexes as the pkg_install structure...

So, the flip side of enterprise software management is that you probably
should not be integrating a rolling release like ports into what is
supposed to be a stable verified environment in the first place.
*Especially* not via cron jobs with no supervision. At the very least, your
jails should be working from a local ports tree (or packages via
poudriere), with cherry-picking of locally tested patches.